Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index Out of the Crisis.Org
Applying W. Edwards Deming to Small Business Management

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking Back, Some Things Never Really Get Out of Date?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index -> Small Business Management Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Looking Back, Some Things Never Really Get Out of Date? Reply with quote

Very early on in my career I learned the value of keeping a legal pad by my telephone. I would jot notes as I spoke with clients, starting with their name and adding anything else I felt pertinent. This came in very handy at the close of the call, when I could look down, refresh my memory and end with thanks for calling Mr. Jones.

As these pads became filled, rather than throw them away, I would date them and file them away. Each new pad got a start date, each filled pad an end date. Over the years I have amassed quite a collection. I still keep a pad by my phone and occasionally I like to go through my old ones for ideas.

Last week I was doing just that. I came across several from about fifteen years ago. I had made note of every time I had to answer in the negative to a client. Beside each note was a comment about the situation. I recall working to eliminate as many reasons as I could for having to answer a client with no.

I also remember this having a big impact on my business at the time. I think any business may benefit from making it as easy as possible for clients to do business with them. Working to eliminate the need to answer no, was a step in this direction, for me. In the years that have followed I have become increasing busy and unintentionally forgot about this experience. I am looking forward to tracking this again, hopefully I have continued subconsciously in the practice, perhaps not?

bbraun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I answered a question correctly once on a GM web based training course, and my reward was a copy of the WAYMISH book. Great. Never heard of it. WAYMISH (Why are you making it so hard (for me to spend my money with you)). I think I've bought 2 dozen copies since then, I pass them out. This thought has had more influence on my business than anything else I can think of. If you make it easy for people to do business with you, it's hard to fail. If you make it hard, it's almost impossible to succeed

Seaside

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis, I have been using legal pad for many years also, but have always thrown each page out after use. I have lost count of the many times I have wished I could review my notes.

Putting the date at the start and finish of each page is brilliant Very Happy

Thanks for the tip.

Seaside

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, I will look into that book, it sounds interesting.

Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

bbraun wrote:
I answered a question correctly once on a GM web based training course, and my reward was a copy of the WAYMISH book. Great. Never heard of it. WAYMISH (Why are you making it so hard (for me to spend my money with you)). I think I've bought 2 dozen copies since then, I pass them out. This thought has had more influence on my business than anything else I can think of. If you make it easy for people to do business with you, it's hard to fail. If you make it hard, it's almost impossible to succeed

Thanks for the tip, I found it on Amazon.com and ordered it today.

Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

Seaside wrote:
Louis, I have been using legal pad for many years also, but have always thrown each page out after use. I have lost count of the many times I have wished I could review my notes.

Putting the date at the start and finish of each page is brilliant Very Happy

Thanks for the tip.

I tend to be a compulsive organizer who hates to throw things out, drives my wife nuts Laughing

Seaside

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

louis wrote:
Hi David,

I tend to be a compulsive organizer who hates to throw things out, drives my wife nuts Laughing

Louis, I had already guess this about you. Most likely a key reason for your success?

scotbyrd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a salesperson, I completely understand about eliminating negative thoughts and negative words from our minds. As a man thinks, so is he. The results translate into everything you do in life. Your happiness and the happiness of those around you.

I have noticed that very successful people are happy people. Are they happy because they are successful or successful because they are happy?

Every notice that good things happen to friendly, outgoing people? There is a new book called the secret. It's basically a rehash of the power of positive thinking. You attract things into your life that you expect to attract.

Just as a final thought, I want to share with you an idea. Let's say your wife called you early in the morning and said you'd won the lottery! Imagine the reaction from customers, employees, vendors, etc as you great them with the greatest enthusiasm! Imagine being that guy every day!

Being thankful for the blessings we have should help to keep you in the right frame of mind. It is sad that we are not reminded of how lucky we are until we see someone who is severely handicapped or extremely unfortunate in some other way.

Take a few minutes before you start each day and be thankful for the day and rejoice in it.

"Winning is not a some time thing. Winning is an all time thing. Winning is a habit and unfortunately, so is losing".
bbraun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bingo !!! So simple, so true, and so easy to forget. Success is 90% attitude, and 10% aptitude.

Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scot,

scotbyrd wrote:
Being thankful for the blessings we have should help to keep you in the right frame of mind. It is sad that we are not reminded of how lucky we are until we see someone who is severely handicapped or extremely unfortunate in some other way.

Take a few minutes before you start each day and be thankful for the day and rejoice in it.

I got a great deal from your entire post, but this statement is most profound to me. I once knew a man that had barely survived a normally fatal disease. He told me it changed his entire life. Any time he thinks of something he wants that he does not have, he reflects on the things he does not have, that he does not want.

I am going to make a point to concentrate on these thoughts during the coming weeks.

Thanks Scot, I appreciate the reply.

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,
Good post! I am making a copy of that to hang in front of my desk.
Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index -> Small Business Management Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: