Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index Out of the Crisis.Org
Applying W. Edwards Deming to Small Business Management

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why Learn All Of This Stuff?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index -> Small Business Management Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Why Learn All Of This Stuff? Reply with quote

I think, many times clients greatly increase their chances of bad service by the way they search for help. For instance, they have a very complex problem, but are looking for a very simple answer. What shop has not heard, “My check engine light is on, how much?”

Unfortunately, those offering the simple answer, such as $39.99, are also those that are least likely able to help at all. In this article I will intentionally ignore service providers that use this approach to take advantage. Being told the problem is more complex and needs to be analyzed may not be what an unsuspecting client wishes to hear. The truth is much less palatable than hearing there is a magic bullet and so the problem goes.

While most shop owners can clearly see through this scenario, there may be a parallel for them. This is management problems, the check engine light of business. Low production, high cost, low morale, employee turnover, low profit, low sales, no growth, you name it. Just like the check engine light only indicates a problem, the same is true of these symptoms.

Again unfortunately, those offering a simple answer are also those that are least likely able to help at all. There are no simple answers to complex issues, and management can be far more complex than even engine management systems.

Just like the client with the $39.99 fix, a shop may be far worse off for the experience. Techs should be great managers, they realize to solve problems they must treat root causes, not symptoms. Applying the same principles to their business would be in order. There are no quick fixes, what Deming called, “Instant pudding.”

Just as a great tech started out learning the principles of operation, the fourteen points are principles of management. Each manager should realize, the choice is their’s. Quick fix or long-term resolution of problems, choose wisely.

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Learn All Of This Stuff? Reply with quote

louis wrote:
I think, many times clients greatly increase their chances of bad service by the way they search for help. For instance, they have a very complex problem, but are looking for a very simple answer. What shop has not heard, “My check engine light is on, how much?”

Is this because they do not know what else to ask? They are bombarded with everything from free diagnosis to the “fact” that all a shop has to do is hook their vehicle to a “machine” and the “machine” will say what needs to be fixed. Simple, quick, and easy.

louis wrote:

Just like the client with the $39.99 fix, a shop may be far worse off for the experience. Techs should be great managers, they realize to solve problems they must treat root causes, not symptoms. Applying the same principles to their business would be in order. There are no quick fixes, what Deming called, “Instant pudding.”

Is this because we, as management, do not know what else to ask? Most independent shop owners started out as techs. We were good at fixing vehicles so we started our own business. But, running a business and fixing cars takes two different skill sets. As the owner, I have to learn how to be a manager, it is not a choice, it is a need.

I find it interesting that when things get tough, I want to go back into the shop and work. I feel productive there, I can accomplish something. The vehicle comes in broken, I repaired it, it is fixed, the customer is happy, I feel good.

When dealing with management issues though, it is different. I do not get the same feeling of accomplishment. It can take longer to reap the rewards, even if the rewards are greater.

Do we need to learn other ways to define success? As a tech, I was successful when the broken vehicle was fixed and ran. What is successes as a manager?

Here you go, making me think again!

louis wrote:
Just as a great tech started out learning the principles of operation, the fourteen points are principles of management. Each manager should realize, the choice is their’s. Quick fix or long-term resolution of problems, choose wisely.

We live in an society of instant self gratification. We want, what we want, and we want it now!

Dave
Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Why Learn All Of This Stuff? Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Dave wrote:
Louis wrote:

Is this because they do not know what else to ask? They are bombarded with everything from free diagnosis to the “fact” that all a shop has to do is hook their vehicle to a “machine” and the “machine” will say what needs to be fixed. Simple, quick, and easy.

That is certainly part of it, yet the outcome is the same, regardless of who contributes to the problem. The point I hope to make is not who is to blame, rather what contributes to a possible solution.

Dave wrote:
Louis wrote:

Is this because we, as management, do not know what else to ask?

I think the answer is the same as above. There are many management consultants willing to promise quick fixes for a quick buck.

Dave wrote:
Most independent shop owners started out as techs. We were good at fixing vehicles so we started our own business. But, running a business and fixing cars takes two different skill sets. As the owner, I have to learn how to be a manager, it is not a choice, it is a need.

Yet a choice as well. A person can choose to seek solutions or continue to look for instant pudding. The results will be different. As Deming said, "Survival is optional."

Dave wrote:
I find it interesting that when things get tough, I want to go back into the shop and work. I feel productive there, I can accomplish something. The vehicle comes in broken, I repaired it, it is fixed, the customer is happy, I feel good.

When dealing with management issues though, it is different. I do not get the same feeling of accomplishment. It can take longer to reap the rewards, even if the rewards are greater.

I believe this is learned behavior. It is always more comfortable in familiar territory. As you learn the tools of management it becomes as comfortable using them.

Dave wrote:
Do we need to learn other ways to define success? As a tech, I was successful when the broken vehicle was fixed and ran. What is successes as a manager?

Here you go, making me think again!

Actually it's the same, you have accomplished your aim. The aim of the tech is to correct the problem. The aim of the manager is to correct the problem.

The thought processes of a tech and a manager are very similar. I think techs should make very good managers. The tech regularly separates symptoms from causes, plans a course of action and executes solutions. Only the tools are different. It's largely a matter of learning the new tools.

There may be a shroud of mystery around management technique, but it's just a set of tools and a way of thinking. Some things are different between the two, but many things are similar.

When you first began working as a tech, you were not nearly as comfortable as you are today. All learning takes time and the things you see in this forum may be different from what you may see other places.

Dave wrote:
Louis wrote:
Just as a great tech started out learning the principles of operation, the fourteen points are principles of management. Each manager should realize, the choice is theirs. Quick fix or long-term resolution of problems, choose wisely.

We live in an society of instant self gratification. We want, what we want, and we want it now!

Dave

Amen, and much to our chagrin. I do not believe it has to be this way, solutions involve thinking a bit differently. Yet the reward to those willing to make the effort is immense.

Thanks Dave, I very much appreciate your comments.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index -> Small Business Management Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: