Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index Out of the Crisis.Org
Applying W. Edwards Deming to Small Business Management

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

That which we call a rose

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index -> Advertising Secrets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fred W

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: That which we call a rose Reply with quote

What’s in a name?

I find myself in a difficult position of changing my shop’s name after nine years under duress. Having created my name from the physical location, behind another building, I came up with Outback Auto. I started this shop like many other shop owners, I was first a tech, and had zero business experience so the name came by accident. It was born though giving directions over the phone to customers, I would point out a popular building out front and would say I’m right “outback”. People seemed to like it and it stuck. Well Subaru doesn’t seem to feel the same; apparently they have a car with the same name and feel my 2 bay shop “dilutes” their product. Some feel I may have a case and can fight although, I think they have more in the coffers for lawyers than me. So in my quest for a new identity I pose the question, how did you come up with your shops name? Is there any scientific research that would make a name more marketable?
Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: That which we call a rose Reply with quote

Fred W wrote:
What’s in a name?

I find myself in a difficult position of changing my shop’s name after nine years under duress. Having created my name from the physical location, behind another building, I came up with Outback Auto. I started this shop like many other shop owners, I was first a tech, and had zero business experience so the name came by accident. It was born though giving directions over the phone to customers, I would point out a popular building out front and would say I’m right “outback”. People seemed to like it and it stuck. Well Subaru doesn’t seem to feel the same; apparently they have a car with the same name and feel my 2 bay shop “dilutes” their product. Some feel I may have a case and can fight although, I think they have more in the coffers for lawyers than me. So in my quest for a new identity I pose the question, how did you come up with your shops name? Is there any scientific research that would make a name more marketable?

Hi Fred,

I will defer to those with more experience on selecting a name. AGCO came about as Altazan Garage Company. It was short and started with an A. This was 40 years ago, before the days of AGCO tractors. [maybe I should sue them Laughing ]

On your name, how about Out Back or Out*Back. Those are pretty generic terms, I think there would be a hard time making a case against them. Especially given your reason for using the name. Good luck.

Bud

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I know about trademark infringment, you should be safe as long as you don't use the name "Subaru."

Of course, you are right about the great cost of fighting to prove that point.

Your name is always your legal right to use. What about 'Fred's Out Back automobile repair shop?'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index -> Advertising Secrets All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: