Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index Out of the Crisis.Org
Applying W. Edwards Deming to Small Business Management

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Old School

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index -> Small Business Management Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: The Old School Reply with quote

Today an elderly gentleman came in and asked if I would have a look at his tires. I checked the tread, about 7/32" remaining , the production date, about two years old and the overall condition, which looked fine. I told them they look fine and asked if he were having any problem.

He answered, I just like to have them checked every so often. I really can’t get down there to look any more. He then added, “How much do I owe you?” Not a thing, glad to check them. He replied, “I’m from the old school son and I like to pay my own way.”

I was a bit taken back by his comment and thought back to a time when far more people felt this way. I handed him three of my business cards and asked, “Hand two of these out for me and we’ll be even. Keep the third for yourself and give me a call when you need something.” He smiled and left, yet has remained on my mind the rest of the day. Some folks just have a way of making you feel good about people. Laughing

MattFMN

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the three business cards was a bloody brilliant move, both in your business' eyes and the customer's. You satisfied his "need" to pay his way and your need to not charge him for a complimentary service. Hopefully atleast two people find out about his pleasant experience! Thanks Louis. Later, Matt.
Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattFMN wrote:
I feel the three business cards was a bloody brilliant move, both in your business' eyes and the customer's. You satisfied his "need" to pay his way and your need to not charge him for a complimentary service. Hopefully at least two people find out about his pleasant experience! Thanks Louis. Later, Matt.

Hi Matt,

I can't claim credit for the idea, though I have used it on a number of occasions. A good friend told me about it many years ago. It works particularly well in situations where I just don't feel a charge is appropriate, yet it still provides me with value for my time.

Thanks Matt, I appreciate your reply

Bret

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a similar technique when folks want to tip me. I tell them that if they're all that happy, then bring me cookies around the holidays. I'm a major cookie monster. Very few forget, as my waistline will attest to. But they never forget that I didn't take their money. And, no, I never, ever remind them. That would defeat the purpose. Between the cookies and the referrals, I get far more than my moneys' worth.
Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bret,

Bret wrote:
I use a similar technique when folks want to tip me. I tell them that if they're all that happy, then bring me cookies around the holidays. I'm a major cookie monster. Very few forget, as my waistline will attest to. But they never forget that I didn't take their money. And, no, I never, ever remind them. That would defeat the purpose. Between the cookies and the referrals, I get far more than my moneys' worth.

Laughing (Laughing out loud) I like that idea. George Witt used to say donuts, I'm a cookie kind of guy myself.

Deming once wrote on the topic of tipping for a service graciously offered out of kindness. I think he stated it can change the relationship completely and is not always appropriate.

He tells one story of offering a tip to an airline employee that carried his bags for him and another of a Mother who tips her Son for washing the dishes. Money is not always the only or most appropriate response, it would seem? Thanks Bret, you bring up an excellent point.

FishAuto

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admit the thought recieving a tip is a wonderful complement but I do not accept them. I will allow the customers if they chose to tip my technicians. It really makes them feel like they have done a excellent job. The funny thing is they will not accept the tip and thank the customer for the gesture. I have to say that says a lot about the guys that work for me. It makes me know that the quality of work they produce is because they are expected to no matter what the situation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index -> Small Business Management Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: