Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index Out of the Crisis.Org
Applying W. Edwards Deming to Small Business Management

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Right or Wrong?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index -> Small Business Management Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Right or Wrong? Reply with quote

Phone [ring]

Shop: Good morning, thanks for calling ABC service.

Caller: Hi, when can you replace the rear C.V. joints on my Acura?

Shop: Are you sure that’s rear C.V. joints? Is it an all wheel drive?

Caller: It’s just a regular Acura, I was told I needed rear C.V. joints, when can you do them?

Shop: Would you like us to check the vehicle and make sure that’s what you need?

Caller: No, it has already been checked, when can you do it?

Shop: We have an opening on Tuesday, would that be convenient?

Caller: Yes, that’s fine. I’ll drop it then.

Information: This is a front wheel drive Acura CL and does not have rear C.V. joints.

Did the shop handle the call properly?

Bud

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a scale of 1 to ten it was a 3. At least they didn't insult or drive away the prospect.
Dave

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Right or Wrong? Reply with quote

louis wrote:

This has all the ear marks of a trick question... Rolling Eyes Ok, I'll bite.

It was handled well enough to get the vehicle into the shop.

But, the service advisor should have asked a couple more questions, like, what the caller was experiencing that led them to believe the rear CV joints needed replaced? Why did they not have it repaired by the people that checked it out?

The answers to these questions puts the shop in a better position to decide if they can help the caller.

The caller has an issue with the vehicle. The shop needs to find out what the symptoms are so they assist in resolving the issue. The more information that is gathered the better. Once the vehicle is in the shop, the shop has a much better chance of being in a position to begin resolving the problem.

Dave
Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bud,

Bud wrote:
On a scale of 1 to ten it was a 3. At least they didn't insult or drive away the prospect.

Approached from a technical view, more questions would be in order. There is no such thing as a rear C.V. joint on this vehicle. From a management view, the client is pretty clear. Three times they ask, "When can you take the vehicle."

As you mention, the point is not to show the client they don't know what they are asking for. The point is to serve whatever needs you can.

Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Right or Wrong? Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
louis wrote:

This has all the ear marks of a trick question... Rolling Eyes Ok, I'll bite.

You know me pretty well Laughing

Dave wrote:
It was handled well enough to get the vehicle into the shop.

But, the service advisor should have asked a couple more questions, like, what the caller was experiencing that led them to believe the rear CV joints needed replaced? Why did they not have it repaired by the people that checked it out?

The answers to these questions puts the shop in a better position to decide if they can help the caller.

The caller has an issue with the vehicle. The shop needs to find out what the symptoms are so they assist in resolving the issue. The more information that is gathered the better. Once the vehicle is in the shop, the shop has a much better chance of being in a position to begin resolving the problem.

Dave

My wife was out on jury duty this week, so I had a chance to make several appointments. This is something I rarely do anymore and I didn’t realize how rusty I had become. I agree, the technician side of me really wanted more detail. It was also pretty clear that I was not going to get any in this call. Instead I made the appointment.

The lady had C.V. joints replaced at a local dealer and was told she needed a rear main seal. Pretty clear to a car person, but very confusing to her. She was referred to us by a coworker who was suspicious because there had been no symptoms.

There was a light film of oil around the drain plug, caused by an old crush washer. The two front tires were also worn to the cords and the rears were thin. Rear main seals must pay more commission than tires? Surprised

A dye test verified no other leaks. An oil change, crush washer and four new V-rated Michelins later the lady left happy, with an appointment for a timing belt on her husband's Toyota. I will never quit trying to get accurate details up front. I learned sometimes that can be accomplished much easier face to face. I know it, but sometimes I need a refresher course, Every person is different. I’m also delighted that Mrs. A is back Laughing

Bud

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have said: "You are asking me to replace a part that your car doesn't have. We do have an open appointment on ........... Why don't you bring it in then, and we will find out exactly what is going on and then explain everything in a clear way."
Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bud,

Bud wrote:
I would have said: "You are asking me to replace a part that your car doesn't have. We do have an open appointment on ........... Why don't you bring it in then, and we will find out exactly what is going on and then explain everything in a clear way."

Let's review the original call:

louis wrote:
Shop: Good morning, thanks for calling ABC service.

Caller: Hi, when can you replace the rear C.V. joints on my Acura? (request one)

Shop: Are you sure that’s rear C.V. joints? Is it an all wheel drive? (request for additional information)

Caller: It’s just a regular Acura, I was told I needed rear C.V. joints, when can you do them? (request two)

Shop: Would you like us to check the vehicle and make sure that’s what you need? (Restate request for additional information)

Caller: No, it has already been checked, (key phrase to her present thoughts) when can you do it? (request three)

Shop: We have an opening on Tuesday, would that be convenient?

Caller: Yes, that’s fine. I’ll drop it then.

My pointing out that she was in error would do nothing to strengthen my position. At the same time it might have made her feel less at ease. Perhaps loosing the opertunity to serve her.

A client might feel in a precarious position. This is particularly so if they have not dealt with me previously. They have no reason to trust me at this point.

Like anyone she might wish to seem somewhat knowledgeable, by asking for what she thinks she needs. Clearly, to me, the issue is "When can you do it." The problem can be as easily ascertained once the vehicle arrives. I also have the greatly increased advantage of being able to show her what I have found. I am also now speaking with her face to face.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index -> Small Business Management Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: