Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index Out of the Crisis.Org
Applying W. Edwards Deming to Small Business Management

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Constant Improvement and Diagnostics II

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index -> Small Business Management Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattFMN

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Constant Improvement and Diagnostics II Reply with quote

Efficient diagnostics are often referenced to a triangle. With training, information, and tooling at each of the “corners”.
Let’s start with the training corner. I feel there are two types of training: system theory and then philosophical/strategy (how to go about diagnosing a vehicle). Example of this might be: for system theory we may learn that Ford EGR systems use a sensor measuring pressure drop of EGR flow across a fixed orifice, GM watches MAP sensor voltage change on a deceleration, and Chrysler watches how Short Term Fuel Trim reacts; for philosophical training we may learn how to use an exhaust gas analyzer for misfire diagnostics, or using a lab scope and pressure transducer to test compression instead of a dedicated gauge. Both are very important and need to be addressed in a training regiment.

Now let’s look at information. There are very many information systems out there, along with OE manufacturer’s websites. These are REQUIRED, at the very least, for quality and efficient auto repair. OE websites often provide even more accurate and up to date information and should be heavily considered if you see a few particular makes most of the time. We shouldn’t forget Identifix’s Direct-Hit website and hotline. Using the experiences of shops across the country, a database is created for your benefit. In some cases, when calling the hotline, you could consider it on-demand training. iATN also uses the experiences of technicians for your benefit, but with less aid in acquiring it.

This leaves us tooling. Let’s face it, to begin with you need scan tools (note it is plural). Scan tools are our window into what the module(s) are thinking and seeing (or at least think they are seeing). We have many choices out there on scan tools. I feel very strongly that if you see many of certain makes, you NEED the OE scan tool for that make. Then, a generic (OTC, Snap-On, etc) will help fill in the gaps. I also feel that this is a good reason to pick a few makes and specialize in them. Advertise full service for these select makes, acquire the OE scan tools for them and a generic scan tool for use when the factory scan tool is in use or a make you don’t specialize in is there for a service that doesn’t require a full-function scan tool.

As I was saying earlier, however; not every shop is the same and not every shop is going to be a full-service facility for any one make. This has to be decided and expressed to the customer. Furthermore, diagnostic equipment can include digital storage oscilloscopes (DSO), power graphing meters, multi-meters, exhaust gas analyzers, gauges, assortments of probes and transducers for the DSO…I could go on and on. These have to be tailored to your techs strategy, skill level, and training.

To justify all this, I feel first thing if first: you have to have a tech that wants to diagnose vehicles and constantly improve at it.
Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt,

Very well put. I am not sure how many shops look at diagnostics from a management perspective, as you outline. This is a fresh approach and one with a great deal of promise. Management should be the practice of improving an activity. I hope you will continue to provide us with insight on this.

Thanks

MattFMN

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what makes diagnostics so difficult, not only for techs but for owners/managers too, is the amount of information and equipment out there. Not only information, but mis-information. We have salesman mis-informed who tell shops they NEED this piece of equipment or they will fall behind. So they get it, use it once, and never use it again because they don't need it. There is a huge number of scan tools out there, not just OE but also aftermarket PC-based tools. It can get very confusing on what to get. Management may set the task on an employee or employees to decide what they need. This can end up in disaster if those employees leave. It gets back to what I was saying about equipment arsenals being tailored to the techs. I might not feel the need for a certain piece of equipment, but the tech coming in to replace me would require it as part of HIS/HER diagnostic routine. Now the shop may be looking at an expensive investment. Perhaps worse yet would be a tech that uses an expensive piece of equipment regularly, but the tech replacing him/her never uses it. Now the shop owns something that serves little to no purpose. In a system where there is low turn over, and techs replacing techs that have left will be trained under a similar guidelines, this potential problem may be further reduced. This, as you can see would lower total cost to the shop and perhaps to the customer as well. Thanks for the reply, Louis! Later, Matt.
Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt,

MattFMN wrote:
I think what makes diagnostics so difficult, not only for techs but for owners/managers too, is the amount of information and equipment out there. Not only information, but mis-information. We have salesman mis-informed who tell shops they NEED this piece of equipment or they will fall behind. So they get it, use it once, and never use it again because they don't need it.

I have seen this many times. Another thought is, change the word "equipment" to "management training" and the same happens with managers.

You are really on to something, applying management concepts to diagnostics. The two fields may have more similarity than differences.

MattFMN wrote:
There is a huge number of scan tools out there, not just OE but also aftermarket PC-based tools. It can get very confusing on what to get. Management may set the task on an employee or employees to decide what they need. This can end up in disaster if those employees leave. It gets back to what I was saying about equipment arsenals being tailored to the techs. I might not feel the need for a certain piece of equipment, but the tech coming in to replace me would require it as part of HIS/HER diagnostic routine. Now the shop may be looking at an expensive investment. Perhaps worse yet would be a tech that uses an expensive piece of equipment regularly, but the tech replacing him/her never uses it. Now the shop owns something that serves little to no purpose. In a system where there is low turn over, and techs replacing techs that have left will be trained under a similar guidelines, this potential problem may be further reduced. This, as you can see would lower total cost to the shop and perhaps to the customer as well. Thanks for the reply, Louis! Later, Matt.

Very well stated! This is a point I had not considered about turnover. I had accounted for a large number of cost, but not included this one. Even with the cost I had included, it is very clear that keeping techs [happy] is very cost effective.

I hope you will take this concept further, it has great promise.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index -> Small Business Management Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: