Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index Out of the Crisis.Org
Applying W. Edwards Deming to Small Business Management

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some Thoughts On Resolving Complaints (Part II)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index -> Small Business Management Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Some Thoughts On Resolving Complaints (Part II) Reply with quote

Many years ago I used to sublet wheel alignment. One shop did all of my alignment and always did a good job. A client returned a vehicle with two bald tires. The tires were new when the vehicle was aligned, 3,000 miles before. An outer tie rod was left loose. The toe changed and destroyed the tires. I bought two new tires and explained the problem to the alignment shop. Their response was, “Not our problem.” I purchased my first alignment machine the next day.

For many years we sent differentials out for rebuilding. The quality was very good, a few minor leaks, which we handled in-house. One day we installed a differential and there was a distinct noise. I called to ask what could be done. The reply, “Bring us the vehicle and we’ll get to it by Monday.” This presents a problem, today is Friday and we have promised the vehicle today.

I suggest, “Is there anyway you could send someone over?” We can’t do that. If I bring the vehicle to you, could anyone look at it while I wait? No, we can’t do that. How about if I have one of my people tear it down and see what the problem is? No reply. Okay, thanks for your help.

We tear down, a bearing was damaged on installation. Two hours, a bearing and seal later everything is okay. Clearly, I understand the bearing problem, not a big issue. The non-helpful, almost unconcerned way of handling the problem has become the issue.

In both cases the original problems were understandable. They could have resolved each with relative ease. In both cases they created a much larger and more difficult problem, by the response. I think every shop has similar stories.

Jon Carlson wrote a book and described such events as “Moments of truth.” This is a moment where the response will determine future events. It is sometimes hard to know how a single event might play out. Often we can defuse the situation and the client is even more loyal than before. In other cases we create an insurmountable problem where none previously existed. In any business day there might be “Moments of truth,” how, will we handle them?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index -> Small Business Management Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: