Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index Out of the Crisis.Org
Applying W. Edwards Deming to Small Business Management

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unknown and UnKnowable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index -> Small Business Management Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Unknown and UnKnowable Reply with quote

Next week our shop will be closed for vacation. While everyone is gone I am taking the opportunity to have several changes made. The present landscaping was installed when the building was constructed, fifteen years ago. It’s still functional, does not look bad, but appears dated. Many of the plant are showing their age and some have outgrown their areas. New plants, complimentary to the company colors will be installed along with an irrigation system.

While the cost is easily understood, the actual benefit may be unknown and unknowable. Can a beautiful landscape produce more profit for an auto repair shop? Many would say no, but could there be a connection?

I think it is easier to feel good about working in a more attractive place than it is in a less attractive one. Taking pride in their place of employment could help produce better work. A well maintained building also helps demonstrate a commitment to excellence and a long-term strategy.

Fellow businesses might also feel better about an attractive neighbor. This could result in better relations which can lead to lower cost. People driving by are more likely to notice an attractive facility. This can lead to more business, perhaps even more referrals, lowering marketing cost.

People tend to notice the out of the ordinary. The landscape as planned is certainly not the norm for the auto repair trade. Rather, it is more like that which might be found in a professional’s complex. This is in keeping with the image that we are out of the ordinary. I believe most people like doing business with successful people. This could also result in additional referrals.

I could go on, but the fact is none of these beliefs can [easily] be proven. Instead I must be guided by theory, not numbers. My theory is a more attractive facility will result in additional long-term profit. All comments are invited.

Last edited by Louis Altazan on Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the better looking the place is, the better the clients are that will be attracted to it. Personally, I have driven past business that looked poorly in favor of a nice looking establishment. We do tend to “judge the book by its cover”. It seems that the more successful business have the attractive facilities.

While the results may be unknown and unknowable, the odds are stacked in your favor.

Good luck on the upgrading.
Dave
scotbyrd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it will help you Louis. You can only have one first impression and we all know how important first impressions are. I agree your current appearance of your facility is more than adequate, but I know your six sigma mentality for perfection!!!

Besides, we spend more time at work than at home (our home away from home, so to speak) so we might as well enjoy our stay.

Actually, repair facility appearance was always one of my pet peeves at my dad's shop. I always felt the dealerships and franchise chains spent more on appearance and that made the customers feel they were taking their vehicles to a top notch place.

But fancy buildings and landscaping don't fix cars. The people, their training and experience, and proper equipment are where the money is best spent. The guy working on their car at the Goodyear might have been a lube jockey from the oil change place two weeks before he started working at the Goodyear. My dad didnt pay a great deal of attention to landscaping and I think it cost him.

You want to be a winner, you need to look like one. Keep up the great work my friend.

Scot Byrd
Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
I think the better looking the place is, the better the clients are that will be attracted to it. Personally, I have driven past business that looked poorly in favor of a nice looking establishment. We do tend to “judge the book by its cover”. It seems that the more successful business have the attractive facilities.

While the results may be unknown and unknowable, the odds are stacked in your favor.

Good luck on the upgrading.
Dave

Hi Dave,

I have done the same, particularly with hotels and restaurants. I can't help believing a lot of other folks do the same. There are many things for which there are no numbers, yet they must be managed. I feel real good about the investment.

Thanks Dave, I appreciate the input.

Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotbyrd wrote:
I think it will help you Louis. You can only have one first impression and we all know how important first impressions are. I agree your current appearance of your facility is more than adequate, but I know your six sigma mentality for perfection!!!

Hi Scot,

Laughing I will try to post before and after pictures when I get back next week.

Scotbyrd wrote:
Besides, we spend more time at work than at home (our home away from home, so to speak) so we might as well enjoy our stay.

That is one I didn't consider, but you are right, Great Point!

Scotbyrd wrote:
Actually, repair facility appearance was always one of my pet peeves at my dad's shop. I always felt the dealerships and franchise chains spent more on appearance and that made the customers feel they were taking their vehicles to a top notch place.

But fancy buildings and landscaping don't fix cars. The people, their training and experience, and proper equipment are where the money is best spent. The guy working on their car at the Goodyear might have been a lube jockey from the oil change place two weeks before he started working at the Goodyear. My dad didnt pay a great deal of attention to landscaping and I think it cost him.

You want to be a winner, you need to look like one. Keep up the great work my friend.

Thanks Scot, I appreciate your comments

MattFMN

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very judgemental when looking at any establishment. I'm a stickler for bathroom maintenance, especially in restaurants. If they keep the bathroom dingy, grimy, gross place and I can see that...what kind of shape are they keeping the places I can't see?

Also, a business that cares about its appearance more than likely cares about its work (output?, product?). It is very uplifting and enthusiasm cultivating to work in a clean, well lit, pleasant atmosphere. If it is clean to begin with, you tend to care more about it staying that way. For some horrible, illogical reason it is easier to clean up a spill from a clean floor than a grungy, dirty, oily floor. You can see it in practice also. A tech spills oil or coolant on a shiny clean floor, they go running for the absorbant, soap and water. Techs that work in dungeons just keep going, walking through it and tracking it all over the place.

Great post, Louis. I look forward to your photos! Later, Matt.

Wasn't there a commercial that stated: "Image is Everything"?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index -> Small Business Management Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: