Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index Out of the Crisis.Org
Applying W. Edwards Deming to Small Business Management

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bob and Tom, Quick Fix or Long-Term Solutions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index -> Small Business Management Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Bob and Tom, Quick Fix or Long-Term Solutions Reply with quote

Bob and Tom had been friends for years. Once they worked as technicians in the same dealership, but each had left, to start their own businesses. Business was tougher than either had anticipated and after about three years, each was getting a bit disheartened.

Tom saw an advertisement for a company that sold what they claimed were solutions to management problems. He was intrigued as this sounded like the solution to his management problems. The advertisement was full of testimonials from shops the company claimed to have helped. It was also full of percentages and figures.

He took the advertisement to Bob and asked his opinion. Bob looked it over and noticed what he felt were several short comings. First, while it mentioned several common maladies, nowhere did it mention by what method it would solve these problems. In fact, there was no mention of methods at all. He also noticed that the testimonials were all from recent users of the service. No long-term results were substantiated.

Bob believed success in management would come from following sound principles of management over a long period of time. In fact he had recently enrolled in the local university and was taking business classes. He told Tom that quick success in management did not seem plausible. Tom disagreed and decided to give the management program a try.

A few months later Tom called Bob. He said the new program had really turned his place around. New incentives had his crew working at top efficiency and he was now charging more for things than he ever thought possible. He asked Bob how things were at his place. Bob said things are looking much better, we are working on several improvement projects. Tom felt a bit sorry for Bob, working so hard when the solutions were so clear to him.

Two years later the two friends were again talking. Bob asked Tom how things were going. Not too bad, you know, you just can’t get good help and people just don’t seem to get it. Get what Bob asked? Why things cost so much, they just don’t seem to get it. Bob said, I have found by working to improve the way things are done, I have been able to lower my cost in many areas. We’re doing things a lot faster now and getting better results too. I’m adding another tech next week. I could suggest a few books that have helped me a great deal.

Naw, I’m though with that management stuff, said Tom. I spent a fortune on that junk and things are worse now than before. I think maybe I’ll change my pay plan.

A few years later Tom walked into Bob’s new shop. Wow Bob, you sure are lucky, great new shop, plenty business, some guys have all the luck. Thanks Tom, things are going really well. Hey Bob, Tom asked, I kind of need a job, are you hiring?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index -> Small Business Management Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: