Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index Out of the Crisis.Org
Applying W. Edwards Deming to Small Business Management

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help Harry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index -> Small Business Management Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Help Harry Reply with quote

“Why are you selling,” I asked? Harry complained, “I can't make any money, all I get is the tough jobs. The unequipped shops are getting the gravy work, they make all the money.” There were two things I knew about Harry. Though he worked very hard, he was not making money and his shop had a good reputation for quality work.

I asked, “Why do you think you only get the tough jobs? ” He said because we are the only shop that can fix them. We loose money, finding the problems and all the gravy work goes elsewhere. I asked, “If you are the only shop that can fix the problems, why do you loose money?” Because people just wont pay for that, it's just the way they are. I've had it, I'm selling the shop!

Comments?

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Harry Reply with quote

Sounds to me like he is not charging what he is worth on the tough jobs. He has a lot invested in tooling and knowledge. He needs to charge appropriately. He is able to provide a service that others are unable to. People will pay a premium for that.

He may be over charging for the gravy jobs. People tend to have an idea what some of the common things cost. If he is considerably higher on them, he may need to demonstrate why he is the best option for his clients.

I also think Harry has some preconceived notions that may not be true. I would recommend he make a plan to charge a fair amount for his services, along with explaining to his clients why his way is in their best interest. Then put the plan into action and track the results. After a while compare the results with what had happened previously. If he needs to, make some changes, put them into action, check the results and keep going.

What does he have to loose, he is already to the point of shutting the doors.

Dave[/code]
FishAuto

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no reason for Harry to close the shop doors. It is a 'mind set' to him that he can not charge more. What he needs to do is explain the 'VALUE' of his services. Most people have been around the block a time or two before. A good explanation of what there paying for and what the will recieve for the price could keep him open.

Most people do not mind paying for Good Service weither it be Auto or Food as long as they know what they are going to get. If his repuation exceeds him the price should follow. Its like going to a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, you know the bill is going to be high but you do not mind paying for it because the food will be what you expect. Just like Harrys shop the reputation is there so the price should not matter.

The choice is really up to Harry. Take the chance and charge what he thinks is a fair but profitable for his business and live a stress free comfortable life still delivering quality service.

Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Help Harry Reply with quote

louis wrote:
“Why are you selling,” I asked? Harry complained, “I can't make any money, all I get is the tough jobs. The unequipped shops are getting the gravy work, they make all the money.” There were two things I knew about Harry. Though he worked very hard, he was not making money and his shop had a good reputation for quality work.

I asked, “Why do you think you only get the tough jobs? ” He said because we are the only shop that can fix them. We loose money, finding the problems and all the gravy work goes elsewhere. I asked, “If you are the only shop that can fix the problems, why do you loose money?” Because people just wont pay for that, it's just the way they are. I've had it, I'm selling the shop!

Comments?

While I feel this could be many shops today, this conversation took place 24 years ago. Actually the conversation was in my head, because in this instance Harry = Louis and I was speaking to myself.

I appreciate all who replied. It seems clear, looking from the outside, the problem is Harry [Louis.] In retrospect I can say the solution was the easy part, just several years of learing. The hard [nearly impossible] part was realizing the problem was me.

Reading my statements today I feel a sense of ignorance [lack of education,] desperation [facts don’t match my excuses] and worse, arrogance. Certainly I was not the only guy who could fix tough problems. Perhaps I made problems a lot tougher than they were because of my attitude.

At that time my solutions involved the world changing to accommodate me. Looking back I clearly see I needed to change to accommodate the more accurate reality. Change for me involved first conquering myself [very tough] and then seeking solutions.

In this difficult time, I found five things that helped a great deal, other than just hard work. I would like to share them with any that care to entertain them.

1. Prayer

2. Thought

3. Appreciation

4. Humility

5. Recreation

It’s said, change is always difficult. For me, most difficult was changing myself.

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Harry Reply with quote

louis wrote:
In this difficult time, I found five things that helped a great deal, other than just hard work. I would like to share them with any that care to entertain them.

1. Prayer

2. Thought

3. Appreciation

4. Humility

5. Recreation

Would you please expand on each of these some. Being a guy, I need the dots drawn very close together.

louis wrote:
It’s said, change is always difficult. For me, most difficult was changing myself.

Isn't that the truth!

I was told once that "most of a persons problems are standing in their own two shoes". Over the years I find that I resemble that statement way too much. We tend to use ourselves as a baseline for comparing others to. I am a poor baseline but the tendency is still there.

Thanks for sharing this. It is good to know others that have been down that road. Sometimes we tend to think that we are the only ones that are struggling.

Dave
Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Harry Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Dave wrote:
louis wrote:

1. Prayer

2. Thought

3. Appreciation

4. Humility

5. Recreation

Would you please expand on each of these some. Being a guy, I need the dots drawn very close together.

Laughing I would not mind at all.

1.) Prayer - Realization that there is something so much greater than myself helps me to keep things in perspective. I try to live day to day, do the best I can and leave the rest in His hands. I also ask for wisdom, to know His will and try to act in the manner I feel best serves it. There have been countless times in my life which this has guided me to the correct path.

2.) Thought - I try to reserve time each day to sit quitely and think. It is not so important what I think about as it is to think. Very often while thinking about one thing, a totally unrelated topic will become very clear to me. It also helps a great deal to write my thoughts out. Many of my post here come from such thoughts.

3.) Appreciation - As I look for the good in others, I find it. It is only natural for me to let them know. This has not come easy for me. There was a time when I had a very hard time expressing appreciation. I think I always felt it, but thought somehow it was known without being expressed. I realize now, others know they are appreciated when they are shown and told.

4.) Humility - There is a world of great and capable people. When I feel I am the only one that can do something, it is time to reflect on a truer reality. "The graveyard is full of indespensable people." Many people do things differently than I do, but get the same, or better results. It is in my best interest to remember this.

5.) Recreation - I enjoy work, sometime too much. Recreation is as important as work. For me that usually involves travel. My wife and I normally get away and take a trip of some kind about once a month. Sometimes just a weekend, other times a week or more. I come back refreshed, full of new ideas and never burn out. To me, recreation is a profit center, it makes me money, compared to not having it.

Dave wrote:
louis wrote:

Isn't that the truth!

I was told once that "most of a persons problems are standing in their own two shoes". Over the years I find that I resemble that statement way too much. We tend to use ourselves as a baseline for comparing others to. I am a poor baseline but the tendency is still there.

Thanks for sharing this. It is good to know others that have been down that road. Sometimes we tend to think that we are the only ones that are struggling.

Dave

I write a lot about the last twenty years I have been in business, but seldom about the thirteen that preceded. There is a reason for that Embarassed

Thanks Dave, I truly appreciate your input.

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Harry Reply with quote

Thank you.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index -> Small Business Management Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: