Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index Out of the Crisis.Org
Applying W. Edwards Deming to Small Business Management

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Point One: Create constancy of purpose

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index -> Small Business Management Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Point One: Create constancy of purpose Reply with quote

Dr. W. Edwards Deming’s Fourteen points

In my experience, the basis of Dr. Deming’s work, is that improved processes produce higher quality output. Higher quality output increases production and lowers cost, by the removal of rework, obstacles to production, inspection and other non-value added steps. Central to the theory are his fourteen points.

Deming taught, the fourteen points were all necessary and not a list from which to pick and choose. The failures I have experienced others having with the philosophy are normally a result of that practice. What I present is my interpretation of these points, as I understand them.

Point One:

Create constancy of purpose for improvement of product and service

Point one sets up a basis for all of the following points. Constancy of purpose means a long-term and consistent approach to business. This is absolutely necessary to the overall success, as the principle are not a quick fix. Rather they establish the ground work for a system that greatly increases the odds of consistently better output, forever.

Everyone is familiar with short term issues. A bolt left loose, an unhappy client, low production, service bays not full, perhaps an accident in the shop. These issues require immediate attention. Yet no matter how well they are dealt with, things rarely turn out as well as if they had not occurred. Preventing these problems, requires a much longer term approach.

Preventing problems rarely seems as critical, in the short-term as dealing with the symptoms. The problems with treating symptoms are, they usually return and treating them consumes a great deal of resources. The cost of this approach can be staggering over time.

Without constancy of purpose, short-term issues will continue to side track a business. An example might be the need for a quick sale, for instance to meet a quota [short-term tactic.] This may cause a shop to accept a job it knows it is not properly equipped to handle. When the job goes bad, money is loss rather than gained. The shop is now in a worse position than before. It has also loss time that might have been spent on something profitable. Continue to repeat the cycle and results are predictable.

Without an aim, future plans and a philosophy to guide them, a business often concentrates solely on current problems. While today’s problems must be dealt with, working to remove the causes is equally important. This will involve additional work and resources to be invested. In the short-term this may seem an expense. With constancy of purpose, it is more properly seen as an investment.

An aim is the desired outcome of the business when viewed in time. The aim must be known, clearly expressed and agreed to by all involved parties. All involved parties includes but is not necessarily limited to management and employees. An aim should be short enough to be easily remembered, yet specific enough to be understood. For example, the aim of my company is “Continuing Ethical Profits.” Very short, but I think clearly understandable. To be successful, the decisions I make every day must support this long term aim.

Seen long-term, improvement of efficiency will increase profits, in an ethical manner. One example could be low production. The solution chosen will have a long-term effect. A long-term approach would involve finding the obstacles to higher production and eliminating them. This will take time, thought and effort. It may start with a fish-bone diagram of the process, PDSA cycles and SPC to chart the results. note: see More Problem Solving Tools for more details

http://www.outofthecrisis.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

A short-term solution might be setting a quota or offering an incentive for employees to work harder. In time eliminating the obstacles produces much more work with less effort, thus lowering cost. In time, people coerced to work harder find they simply cannot work any harder, even for more money. Two methods, two outcomes, one short-term and one long-term.

An oversimplified parallel might be a tool that is used many times a day. The tool is stored in a location a great distance from where the work is done. Each time the tool is needed, the tech must stop work, walk the great distance and bring the tool back to the work. When finished he again stops, walks back to the storage place and returns the tool. This cycle repeats dozens of times a day and with each of four techs. Offering these techs a reward to work faster may have short-term results, but moving the tool would have much better results in time.

Long-term solutions may seem at first more difficult. Yet over time they prevent problems, lower cost and increase production. This is why constancy of purpose is necessary. Rather than jumping from one "silver bullet” to another, an aim is established and followed. This requires several things. First the aim must be workable; a market must exist, people and capital must be available, etc. Also required are faith and discipline. Faith that there will be a future and discipline to daily work toward it.

To me constancy of purpose means the actions of today will support the long-term plans of the future. This is why selecting a proper theory of management is imperative. Once a business culture is established, particularly with employees involved, it is extremely difficult if not impossible to change.

Last edited by Louis Altazan on Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:34 pm; edited 4 times in total
MattFMN

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add to this only that the dedication absolutely has to come from the very top (owner, board, etc). In my situation, I wanted very much to use the 14 Points and Deming's philosophy to change our repair shop's image and livelihood. Running it past the shop owner I received the "two thumbs up", but in reality, he never backed me up on its implementation. I couldn't apply the first, and arguably most important of the "points"... It was/is very frustrating to see problems, yet only be allowed to use short-term "patches" to "fix" them. The true repairs would have been initially more expensive and time consuming, yet ultimately cost saving and efficiency boosting for the problems would have been eliminated permanently. The best position to accomplish this philosophy is as an owner or manager with the backing of the owner.

What can I say? Another GREAT post, Louis! I'm so glad you started this forum! Smile I'm very intrigued and excited to learn about Deming the man and the philosophy. Thanks so much! Later, Matt.
Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt,

MattFMN wrote:
I would add to this only that the dedication absolutely has to come from the very top (owner, board, etc).

There are seldom truer words spoken my friend. Point-seven deals with this specifically, but every point implies it. Lack of leadership, from the top, has been one of the major reasons the philosophy is seldom employed in the West.

Western style managers, as a general rule, prefer to delegate rather than lead. This tends to isolate them from blame if anything goes wrong. They see problems as something you can allocate money to fix and then move on [to the next golf game?] This is apparent all the way from GM to the local repair shop.

It is far more inviting to throw some money at the problem than to spend the time to learn management, process improvement, motivational psychology, and on and on. This is one reason so many hacks parade around as consultants. There's big money to be made, if you promise solutions for cash. A teacher might starve to death advocating the truth.

MattFMN wrote:
In my situation, I wanted very much to use the 14 Points and Deming's philosophy to change our repair shop's image and livelihood. Running it past the shop owner I received the "two thumbs up", but in reality, he never backed me up on its implementation. I couldn't apply the first, and arguably most important of the "points"...

This is one of the most common stories there are. Many, many people have left to start their own companies, just for this reason.

MattFMN wrote:
It was/is very frustrating to see problems, yet only be allowed to use short-term "patches" to "fix" them. The true repairs would have been initially more expensive and time consuming, yet ultimately cost saving and efficiency boosting for the problems would have been eliminated permanently. The best position to accomplish this philosophy is as an owner or manager with the backing of the owner.

Perhaps that is the only way to accomplish it. I know that I spent years working, when everyone around me said to give it up. Being the owner and a bit bull headed made it a lot easier. Today the benefits continue to roll in. Whatever sacrifices I made have been earned back ten-fold.

MattFMN wrote:
What can I say? Another GREAT post, Louis! I'm so glad you started this forum! Smile I'm very intrigued and excited to learn about Deming the man and the philosophy. Thanks so much! Later, Matt.

You are too kind Matt, I appreciate your input. I hope we can get some lively discussion going on these points.

Bud

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from delegating, what about the practice of promising incentives, spiffs or bounses for improved performance?

That is an accepted way of managing, and frees the manager from the responsibility of actually understanding the business he is responsible for, and for fixing it.

We work in the most incentified industry, auto repair, that I know of.
Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bud,

Bud wrote:
Aside from delegating, what about the practice of promising incentives, spiffs or bounses for improved performance?

That is an accepted way of managing, and frees the manager from the responsibility of actually understanding the business he is responsible for, and for fixing it.

We work in the most incentified industry, auto repair, that I know of.

Incentives, flat-rate and bonuses are covered much more in detail in later points. Perhaps most important is to realize these are simply manners of payment, not management at all. Mis-applying these and expecting results will be disappointing, at best. There are also a huge amount of collateral problems that can be created, by such lack of management. Good question, I hope to delve much deeper into this.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index -> Small Business Management Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: