Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index Out of the Crisis.Org
Applying W. Edwards Deming to Small Business Management

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Different reasons for being wrong.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index -> Small Business Management Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattFMN

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Different reasons for being wrong. Reply with quote

I know, I know, pretty negative statement. But, let's face it. As often as we'd like to focus on the positives and massage our egos with what we do correctly, we must spend time to analyze what we do wrong and why.

I think the first, and most obvious reason, for being wrong is simply not knowing. We've heard the saying: "You don't know what you don't know." How does one avoid not knowing something?

I'm very interested in the next one: We are wrong or doing something wrong, and we know it! But we continue to do it! I've read that Einstein defined insanity as doing something the same way over and over expecting a different result. It is this version of being wrong that just kills me. We see all manner of people and groups doing the same wrong thing over and over hoping something will change (economy, government, the other person, etc).

Are there other reason's for being wrong?

Am I wrong for spending time focusing on wrong?

Later, Matt.

www.wavehook.com
Tom Ham

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Different reasons for being wrong. Reply with quote

MattFMN wrote:
I know, I know, pretty negative statement. But, let's face it. As often as we'd like to focus on the positives and massage our egos with what we do correctly, we must spend time to analyze what we do wrong and why.

I think the first, and most obvious reason, for being wrong is simply not knowing. We've heard the saying: "You don't know what you don't know." How does one avoid not knowing something?

I'm very interested in the next one: We are wrong or doing something wrong, and we know it! But we continue to do it! I've read that Einstein defined insanity as doing something the same way over and over expecting a different result. It is this version of being wrong that just kills me. We see all manner of people and groups doing the same wrong thing over and over hoping something will change (economy, government, the other person, etc).

Am I wrong for spending time focusing on wrong?

Later, Matt.

Great questions to ask!

A number of years ago I learned the freedom of saying: "I don't know!" That has helped me a lot.

As far as continuing to do something wrong, one must stop and ask themselves: "Why am I doing this?" Once the issue is identified, it gets easier to change what one is doing.

On one hand, some people just don't care about being wrong....that includes almost everyone inside the Beltway.

On the other hand, some people worry too much about being wrong causing them to not get much accomplished.

Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Different reasons for being wrong. Reply with quote

MattFMN wrote:

Hi Matt,

You always seem to get to the core of the apple with very insightful post. I am not sure if wrong is the most appropriate term, it is very subjective. In business, I think more efficient, more profitable, less risky, etc. might be better terms.

This is not just a play on words. You ask why people do things that are wrong. I think the vast majority do not see what they do as wrong, rather just an easier way. This is natural, sort of human nature to conserve energy. I don't believe a normal person sets out to do wrong.

As a manager, I feel we need to seek ways to make it easier to do things as we want them [right] than to do them other ways [wrong.] Contrast this with the more common method of decree, inspect and enforce. Management sees something they don’t like. The decree that it will stop and be done their way. First they inspect and watch-over, eventually they add incentives, thinking it’s now finished. When the behavior continues they fire, fume and fly off the handle. In the end good people are let go, money is wasted and the behavior continues
MattFMN wrote:
iven underground.

[quote="MattFMN"]Am I wrong for spending time focusing on wrong?

I don't think so. Deming referred to “The theory of knowledge.” This is how we know what we know. It might be said that most things we know is likely wrong or at least incomplete. That is, there are always better, more efficient, safer and more cost effective ways. No use dwelling on the past, we did the best we knew how to do. There is also no use in not seeking continual improvement.

If it’s not broke, we probably just haven’t looked closely enough.

Thanks Matt, great post!!

MattFMN

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel something that is a HUGE contributor towards the continuation of questionable tactics, losing propositions and sticking with something that clearly isn't working is: FEAR.

You're struggling with employees, you're struggling with finances, car counts are down, $$$/RO are down, etc, etc, etc, but you just can't bring yourself to change your process(es) or worse you don't realize you should be considering changing your process(es) or improving on them or at least examining them. I usually see this stage when the owner/manager/employees are blaming clients, the government or the economy.

Fear...fear...fear. Fear that you aren't making much or any money now, but if you change something you may start losing money or lose more money. Fear that if you give your employees some rope they just might hang you with it. Fear that changing how you pay your techs they may get "lazy". Fear that spending time with your employees going over your process(es) will cost you money.

I don't know that I have a favorite Deming Point but if I had to list them in an order of favorites, working to remove fear would be at or close to the top.

To go with how I started this thread (and I don't wish to force this in any particular direction so by all means please bring up any causes of making wrong decisions, or using less then desirable tactics or processes continually in vain) it is extremely important to have an "out of business experience". I hope that makes sense. Just like some people have an out of body experience, we need to be able to step back and take a look from the outside. By not doing this, or at least honestly attempting to do so, you very much risk the possibility of making or avoiding decisions due to fear. By not attempting to bring about your own "out of business experience" you may never see yourself or your business doing something "wrong", even if what you are doing wrong has nothing to do with fear.

As Louis often bring up, it is important to constantly seek knowledge. Knowledge doesn't always have to explain to us how to do something or how to visualize something. It can very much teach us what NOT to do, how NOT to think. Plus adding knowledge helps reduce what you don't know, and what you don't know can/does hurt you. This knowledge does not necessarily need to be related to automotive repair or even business management.

Please keep up the conversation, I think we've only scratched the surface to where this can go.

Thanks. Later, Matt.

www.wavehook.com
Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt,

I also believe that fear is a factor in resisting change. If the change is one to help prevent mistakes, certainly it would apply. I feel the cure for fear is at least two fold. First is knowledge, as the more we know about something, the less we tend to fear it.

Secondly is trust. Trust of management to act in the best interest of all. Trust that management is correct and has honorable intentions. Trust that management will follow through and make resources available. Management must EARN this trust and following the fouteen points.

Fear is a normal response to the unknown. This is why leadership is so important. Great leaders do NOT lack fear, they are simply capable of taking necessary action in spite of fear. This encourages others to follow and fear is greatly diminished.

I think addressing fear might best be accomplished by point seven, instituting leadership, and point thirteen increasing education.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index -> Small Business Management Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: