Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index Out of the Crisis.Org
Applying W. Edwards Deming to Small Business Management

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Instruction Manual

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index -> Small Business Management Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: The Instruction Manual Reply with quote

The power to make quick changes brings a huge responsibility. It is essential changes are made with the actual purpose of the business in sight. I believe this is Dr. Deming’s reason for point one. I also believe it is quite difficult to accomplish and one reason for so many business failures.

Situations often change from day to day, even hour to hour in a business. I think an aim, accurately conveyed and understood by all, must be in place. I know I have made emotional decisions that have caused huge business problems. It is not enough to merely issue a statement of the aim of the business.

Rather the aim must be “The instruction manual” for the business, and best in just a few words. Long flowering statements are seldom understood and even less seldom followed. A well thought out, concise and brief statement of purpose is the beacon in the darkness. What the business is trying to accomplish and how it will be done. Further, it must be followed and management should agree to be held accountable when it is not.

My experience has been, very few business owners can briefly state what their business is trying to accomplish. If this is difficult for the owner, imagine how much more so it would be for employees. In difficult times or good, a business with constancy of purpose will consistently out-perform those who lack it. A clear aim, understood by all and with accountability may be the best way out of the crisis.

Fred Reece

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Further, it must be followed and management should agree to be held accountable when it is not.

Accountable to who?

Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred Reece wrote:
Quote:
Further, it must be followed and management should agree to be held accountable when it is not.

Accountable to who?

Hi Fred,

My feeling is that management must be accountable to all of the stakeholders of the business. This would include any investors, employees, clients, vendors and even the local community among others.

When I put on the management hat, I think I assumed this responsibility. Like the old saying, "You have to pay the cost if you want to be the boss." Much is said about holding employees accountable. Very seldom is management accountability mentioned.

If the aim of my company is, Continuing-Ethical-Profit, does the company make continuing ethical profit. If not, why not? If not, I am responsible. Thanks Fred, I appreciate your question.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index -> Small Business Management Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: