Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index Out of the Crisis.Org
Applying W. Edwards Deming to Small Business Management

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why 2009 Will Be The Best Year Ever, For Some

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index -> Small Business Management Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Why 2009 Will Be The Best Year Ever, For Some Reply with quote

It is difficult to find really good news in the media today. Rather the harbingers of dispair seem to delight in reporting every nuance of doom and gloom. While the economic news may be bleak, this does not mean any individual business need be affected. The odds of a given football team beating another may not be good. Yet as we have seen all to often the outcome depends on the will, spirit and operation of the individual team, not the odds.

When all around you are losing their heads . . . I feel great opportunity exist for those businesses that of long-term focused. Seeing bad news for what it is, someone’s opinion of the current situation and not destiny, can help. All things past and quality endures. This is the time to increase quality, increase productivity and increase value in our products and services.
  1. People exposed to continual bad news are more likely to seek higher value for their money. Demonstrate that you are that choice.

2. People are increasing becoming fed up with low quality, that inevitably cost them far more.

3. Clients are more likely to frequent lower cost alternatives as opposed to lower price. For instance repair a vehicle rather than buy a new one.

4. Providers of goods and services used by a business are more likely to provide higher value, when requested. Volume purchases, discounted equipment prices, extra services bundled with purchases, to name a few.

5. The competition that does not do these thing will be at a distinct disadvantage to those who do.
Businesses based on sound management principle [Deming’s philosophy] may now be in a position to dominate their markets, even more than ever before. Just as Toyota has continued to rise in stature, size and profitability over time. Month to month variation is meaningless their trend is inevitably and steadily upward. Such businesses have become pockets of excellence in a sea of mediocrity. Clients know the difference.

Fred Reece

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you were nice enough to give me a tour of your shop and I met and spoke with your staff, I am beginning to understand. I always felt I had management pretty well figured out I understand theres a lot more to learn now. If anyone will have a great 2009, I think it will be you, thanks again.

Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred Reece wrote:
After you were nice enough to give me a tour of your shop and I met and spoke with your staff, I am beginning to understand. I always felt I had management pretty well figured out I understand theres a lot more to learn now. If anyone will have a great 2009, I think it will be you, thanks again.

Hi Fred,

You are quite welcome, we enjoyed having you. Please keep in touch.

Hal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:07 am    Post subject: Selling quality to new faces coming in the door Reply with quote

Louis, I have put into practice the 14 points thanks to YOU and this network. Yesterdays shop meeting was about new faces finding us.

I want to learn how to convey to a new face at the counter how the quality and value we provide will benefit them in a way that makes them want to have us perform the repairs they need.

We have 7 repair shops within one mile on the same street and they all advertise discounted services, not one provides value.

Thanks in advance, Hal

Kennett Square, PA, USA
Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Selling quality to new faces coming in the door Reply with quote

Hal wrote:
Louis, I have put into practice the 14 points thanks to YOU and this network. Yesterdays shop meeting was about new faces finding us.

I want to learn how to convey to a new face at the counter how the quality and value we provide will benefit them in a way that makes them want to have us perform the repairs they need.

We have 7 repair shops within one mile on the same street and they all advertise discounted services, not one provides value.

Thanks in advance, Hal

Hi Hal,

Thanks for the question. I would bet your company already does a good job at conveying value and that’s why the new faces are there. I believe value becomes sort of self-evident in a Deming based company. For instance, people refer others to you, not because of the Deming philosophy. Client refer other clients because they are pleased with the service you provide [a result of the Deming philosophy.] Clients buy because your prices are fair. Fair prices are a result of making a fair profit at a price lower than others, because your price is not loaded with non-value added cost.

Much marketing today appears to me to be based on the theory that people are simple minded. It promises all sorts of things that are never delivered. Rather, I feel marketing needs to be based on the theory that people are quite clever. They are masters at finding things that are in their own best interest, regardless of promises. This frustrates low-value companies but I feel is the bases of high-value companies.

Here’s a link to a more specific answer on what I feel works in demonstrating quality of a service, before it is rendered.

Eric J.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your reliance on the new adminstration to make 2009 a better year?
Tom Ham

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric J. wrote:

In my opinion, the current description of the new administration is that they are "Pretty much clueless and along for the ride...hanging on by their fingertips". They are likely to be "rolled" by those in power financially and politically. There is little that they can really do...and they are not about to do the few things they could do that would help...instead they are far more likely to only make things worse.

Any "real business" (other than the selected bailed out group) looking to DC to make things better is about to be severely disappointed.

Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric J. wrote:

Hi Eric,

My administration has not change since 1974 and I have 100% faith in it. Laughing As far as politicians, I have zero reliance and even less trust.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index -> Small Business Management Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: