Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index Out of the Crisis.Org
Applying W. Edwards Deming to Small Business Management

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Shutting it off"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index -> Small Business Management Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: "Shutting it off" Reply with quote

By now, we all know how the auto repair industry can take a toll on our health. The chemicals we use, the physical demands on our bodies, and interaction with customers and the germs they might be carrying are just a few examples. But what about the mental health?

Stress kills. Been proven, been talked about ad nauseum. But it's true, so how does one deal with it? Is it as easy as "flipping the switch" when you lock the door to leave at closing time (or later)? Are there de-stressing activities or practices that you've had to use?

At times during the year, the workload becomes such that I have a hard time leaving work at work, and I'm going through one of those times now. Without deep detail, a flood of work arrived nearly all at the same time and of course everyone wants it done NOW, so the weight of everyone's expectations are getting a little heavy.

Comments and/or suggestions welcomed.

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Fred Reece

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had that problem lately. When I did, what helped me was scheduling my work. I take as much as I can do and the rest will just have to wait. I don't have enough real estate to store a lot of cars and I'm too old to work 12 hour days. I just take what I can do and let the rest go.

Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe,

Don't forget an important part of the job we do is to provide funds to enjoy life. I love my work, but I love my time off also. I don't think I could make it without both. It might be time to take some time . . .

Joe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Fred, but the situation is one that could not be scheduled. Black ice struck the area on Saturday, which left us with a lot full of collision work. This is going to include suspension, exhaust, driveline, and the like, which is in my department. These things happen ON TOP OF already scheduled work. I realize that things have to wait, but since I care about my customers, I tend to want to exceed their expectations - and as crazy as it may sound, that includes the insurance companies that deal so closely with our collision shop. Care = burdening myself? To some extent, yes.

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Joe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis, I feel that day or days coming... soon.

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index -> Small Business Management Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: