Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index Out of the Crisis.Org
Applying W. Edwards Deming to Small Business Management

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are Large Ads Better Than Smaller Ones?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index -> Advertising Secrets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That explains a lot. How does blank space figure into this, or does it? I once ran the following ad:

Quote:
This is a list of vehicles AGCO cannot align:

AGCO Automotive 11410 Coursey Boulevard, Baton Rouge, LA (225) 291-6900

Bud

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you are saying you ran the ad only "once."

If it was a winner, you would run the same ad over and over.
Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud wrote:
So, you are saying you ran the ad only "once."

If it was a winner, you would run the same ad over and over.

I ran it about six-weeks in a weekly publication, several years ago as a PDSA on something different. There was very little response at the time. I wonder what your thoughts might be.

Bud

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran it about six-weeks in a weekly publication, several years ago as a PDSA on something different. There was very little response at the time. I wonder what your thoughts might be.

At least you ran it six times, and not just once, as is the common mistake. Several things could have gone wrong. First, overly large ads can be offensive, taken as 'in your face' and rude. If so, they won't sell well.

Second, the ad does not speak to people as individuals. It addresses a 'group.' That is, readers are not interested in whether you can align cars anybody else drives. They only care if you can repair their own car. The ad alludes to that, but does not really say it specifically.

Third, 'align' is not a benefit. You already know that. People don't want an alignment. They want a car that drives straight and does not wear out its tires too quickly.

Lastly, the people you wanted to reach might not have read that publication. So, even if you had a great ad, one that had proven itself before, it would flop if never seen by the right people.

Really lastly, the ad does not make an offer of any kind. The most important aspect of an ad is that it makes a specific offer.

Really, really lastly, the ad does not spell out an action plan. It does not tell the reader what they have to do to accept your offer. As example. "To have your car drive straight and not wear out its tires, call AGCO at 777-4444 today. Ask for your very own alignment special."

For sure lastly, and this is not true for AGCO, a business must have an advertising presence in its community. Long term advertising buiilds familiarity and a degree of trust.

This is especially true for purchases that are highly involved, like home buying or car repair. Suspicious by nature of strangers, people don't easily trust a business they never heard of, no matter how good the ad might be.
Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good thoughts, this is why I now hire an agency to handle my advertising. Laughing Here's another ad, in the same series that was pretty successful for us.

louis wrote:
Our classes on growing roses, help our techs fix your vehicle right the first time.

AGCO Automotive . 11410 Coursey Boulevard . Baton Rouge, LA (225) 291-6900

In the background was a screen of a rose.

Bud

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, but please tell us the other differences between these two ads. Did you run them in the same publication, and did you have anything else appearing in the publication, like an editorial column?
Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud wrote:
Great, but please tell us the other differences between these two ads. Did you run them in the same publication, and did you have anything else appearing in the publication, like an editorial column?

It was the same publication (I swapped ad space for car repair) and the same length of time, 6 weeks. Nothing else appeared in the publication. NOW, the rest of the story . . .

I think it worked, because it tweaked peoples imagination. Several people called to ask what the ad meant. When I explained, many made appointments. Also because of my radio show, many people were familiar with our concept of unconventional education applied to technical task.

I mention these ads now only because of the use of white space. I once felt it might be effective in attracting attention. This because I notice many ads appear to me very crowded. I wonder as to your thoughts?

Bud

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

louis wrote:
It was the same publication (I swapped ad space for car repair) and the same length of time, 6 weeks. Nothing else appeared in the publication. NOW, the rest of the story . . .

I think it worked, because it tweaked peoples imagination. Several people called to ask what the ad meant. When I explained, many made appointments. Also because of my radio show, many people were familiar with our concept of unconventional education applied to technical task.

This is what I'm getting at. AGCO has been advertising in Baton Rouge since 1974. As such, it has a strong 'advertising presence.' Likely, people seeing your ads had heard your radio ads, your radio shows, or seen your written ads many, many times before. All that is cumulative; it builds on itself. It means your second set of ads had the benefit of your first set 'breaking the ice.'

This explains why a business that had not advertised much, if any, could copy AGCO, run your exact same ads, and have far worse returns from them.

louis wrote:
I mention these ads now only because of the use of white space. I once felt it might be effective in attracting attention. This because I notice many ads appear to me very crowded. I wonder as to your thoughts?

On the list of 100 things to know about print ads, pictures, graphics, colors, borders, and space are way down towards the bottom of priorities; maybe around number 90.

The funny thing is, most people spend most of their time designing an ad on those very things. But, most people are not happy with their ads' performance. Is this a clue?

But since you asked, and many others are likely thinking the same thing, here is the answer. I wouldn't do it, especially for a company new to advertising. Large ads, an unusually large percentage of white space, or anything else strange or too far out of the ordinary will most likely backfire.

Until experience is gained, just follow the basic rules for sound ads. Also, leaving readers with a question as to what the ad meant? Not good. It is better to make a specific offer, delivered by the best method, to the right people, and give them a specific action plan to accept your offer.

It is a simple formula, proven over time. Nothing fancy about it.

"To have your car drive straight and not wear out its tires, call AGCO at 777-4444 today. Ask for your very own alignment special."
Louis Altazan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bud, this reminds me of why I now hire an agency. Embarassed

I think anyone can gain by learning more about marketing. There are few areas where more is wasted as badly, in my opinion.

Bud

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The discussion brings to light interesting points that wouldn't have been mentioned. That's the power of discussion.

Since AGCO has been advertising since 1974, people are hearing your messages dozens or even hundreds of times before they become your customers. In business school we studied that effect, the cumulative efffect of advertising. It is a force to be contended with.

The rule of thumb is to spend 80% of a small business's advertising budget on things it has found to work, and experiment on new methods with the other 20% of the money. That's a big problem, because many small firms have never studied advertising methods then applied them scientifically to find what works.

Another interesting point is AGCO's basic message. It is simply a general promise to "Fix your car right the first time." That's ok, and it works for you after all these years of using it.

But a 'general promise' is pretty weak method to advertise with, especialy for a business new to advertising. General promises are difficult to prove. Remember Ford's promise, 'quality is job one.' Or the local dairys in every big city that advertise 'Our milk tasts better than anybody elses'. Those claims are hard to prove.

Now, that is a role of the copy in an ad, to give evidence that the headline is true. This forum hasn't gotten to the subject of writing copy yet.

AGCO's website gives tons of evidence that it can really fix a car 'right the first time' and keep a vehicle running for 'the lowest overall cost.' Your short radio ads don't give that evidence, but they don't have to. They have been runing for years, and have built up a cumulative effect for you.

Anyway, better than a general promise is an offer. Make the public, better yet, the individual reader, an offer. Than the reader either has to accept it or refuse it. An ad's main power is in its offer.

Tell them what the offer will do for them. It should save them money, prevent breakdowns, avoid scams, whatever.

Lastly, tell them what they have to do to accept your offer. Clip a coupon, visit your website, call, or come in.

All those things are necessary in ads for companies new to advertising, or that have weak and innefective advertising now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index -> Advertising Secrets All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: