Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index Out of the Crisis.Org
Applying W. Edwards Deming to Small Business Management

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help write this ad for Louis. Part two.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index -> Advertising Secrets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Help write this ad for Louis. Part two. Reply with quote

Bud wrote:

OK, guys, list you three or four favorite headlines.

My favorite is; Become an employer people WANT to work for!

I like these
1) New to owning a business? Learn what mistakes to avoid.
2) Learn from the successes and avoid the mistakes of other business owners just like you.
3) Learn ways to increase your profits.
4) Discover how to attract and keep the best techs.
5) Reduce the aggravation in your business and enjoy your workdays more.
6) Visit outofthecrisis.org: a place to interact with other shop owners to learn proven ways to make your business successful.

Personally, I do not the words Free and Huge so that knocked these out.
* See how other shops are making huge profits!
* Join this free website and turn your shop around to big profits.
* Don't spend money on expensive management training. Start by joining this free website instead.

You posted a lot of good info here Bud, thanks.

Camp Verde, AZ
www.hefrshop.com
Bud

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, only one response. Maybe I'm taking these lessons too deep, too fast for most people to enjoy.
Dave

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was thinking yesterday about how when a person is lost, they follow predictable patterns. Knowing these patterns can assist a rescuer in finding them.

As a company grows it goes through different cycles. Are these predictable, are they patterns? If so, are there spots where a person is more likely to be wanting to get help for their business? If we can identify these spots, could we more narrowly target our advertising to them? Would this increase the chances they would use the forum?

Camp Verde, AZ
www.hefrshop.com
Bud

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Was thinking yesterday about how when a person is lost, they follow predictable patterns. Knowing these patterns can assist a rescuer in finding them.

As a company grows it goes through different cycles. Are these predictable, are they patterns? If so, are there spots where a person is more likely to be wanting to get help for their business? If we can identify these spots, could we more narrowly target our advertising to them? Would this increase the chances they would use the forum?

Could be. I keep remembering when I owned a good shop, and could do everything well except make advertising work. It was a mystery, back then, before I ever set foot in a business school and learned what all my mistakes were.

Perhaps i should remember how strange all of this would have been to me back then, and water this down a lot.
MattFMN

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that I would change the "level" at which you present. I mean, if I see something here I do not understand or wish to see and elaboration on, I ask. I would hope anyone viewing any of these posts would not hesitate to ask. There is absolutely no such thing as a "bad" question. The worst question is the one never asked. Think about it, not only is your question going to benefit you, but may benefit EVERYONE. Keep up the good work, Bud. Later, Matt.

www.wavehook.com
Bud

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Matt.
Jeff S

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bud,

I apologize, I haven't had a chance to read this post in it's entirety and haven't seen 'part 1' at all yet, but I'll look asap.

In the mean time, all though it appears to go against your marketing rules, I would probably try something completely different. (I'd probably also try to track it's results so I could know if it's a bad path to go down).

If a headline for a post card to drive people to outofthecrisis is what your looking for, I would try something like:

"Business is as Business does"

The body of the message would be very small also, if all you're trying to do is drive people to the website so they can learn more there.

Something like hmmm, maybe: "Learn how to gross $300,000 per technician every year. Go to www.outofthecrisis.org to learn how".

http://hqautomotive.com
Bud

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for contributing, Jeff. Let's see what you suggest:

Jeff S wrote:
Hi Bud,

In the mean time, all though it appears to go against your marketing rules, I would probably try something completely different.

OK.

(I'd probably also try to track it's results so I could know if it's a bad path to go down).

Excellent. Absolutely, track everything, and learn (improve) from the results.

If a headline for a post card to drive people to outofthecrisis is what your looking for, I would try something like:

"Business is as Business does"

So, you are suggesting something clever, right? That is very difficult to make effective, as when trying to use humor. The greatest chance is that cleverness will backfire and be a dud.

But, if you feel you have a 'winner of a headline,' you could run 1/2 your cards with that headline. Run the other 1/2 with something else. Track the responses and then pick the winner. Standard advertising proceedures.

Above all, at least you know what a headline is and what part it plays in an ad. Where'd you learn that?

The body of the message would be very small also, if all you're trying to do is drive people to the website so they can learn more there.

Something like hmmm, maybe: "Learn how to gross $300,000 per technician every year. Go to www.outofthecrisis.org to learn how".

Again, you would have to pre-test the various cards first. Then select the best several for actual distribution. Then track the results and decide the winner. Standard advertising proceedures, nothing secret about it.
Jeff S

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud wrote:

So, you are suggesting something clever, right? That is very difficult to make effective, as when trying to use humor. The greatest chance is that cleverness will backfire and be a dud.

I can't deny the possibility, it very well could be a dud, I'd find out though.

I guess "clever" could be taken more then one way. I would think anything effective as clever even if it's a tried and true method or boring or whatever, just so long as it works it would be "clever"? I wasn't trying for anything except two ideas. 1) I'd prefer to have something "fresh"? Second, I would like to have something the reader might say to themselves "huh?" perhaps they will read beyond the headline?

Bud wrote:
But, if you feel you have a 'winner of a headline,' you could run 1/2 your cards with that headline. Run the other 1/2 with something else. Track the responses and then pick the winner. Standard advertising proceedures..

Really? 1/2? I was thinking some perhaps even very small percentage, say 5% or perhaps even less? You would be able to get a general idea if the effectiveness before making a big investment into it? This I suppose would vary on just how many you intended to mail but if your intent was to send a post card everyplace that works on cars the mailing list would be in the 10's of thousands? In this case couldn't a measure of effectiveness be obtained with say 1%?

Bud wrote:
Above all, at least you know what a headline is and what part it plays in an ad. Where'd you learn that?

Well I'm really not sure what you mean. I wouldn't claim to know anything about it. For me a headline would be something to hopefully grab the readers attention and hopefully coax them into having a desire to read beyond it. Is it more complex then that? I picked what I did because I think it says everything that needs to be said in very few words, it does it in a way that hasn't come across their desk before and hopefully will give them a desire to find out what in the world it means [read beyond the headline].

Something like hmmm, maybe: "Learn how to gross $300,000 per technician every year. Go to www.outofthecrisis.org to learn how".[/quote]

Bud wrote:
Again, you would have to pre-test the various cards first. Then select the best several for actual distribution. Then track the results and decide the winner. Standard advertising proceedures, nothing secret about it.

Agreed, I would make the body as small as possible just because it only needs say enough to get somebody to have a desire to find out more. When they get to the web site they can read until their hearts content. The site is the place where more time can spent, the only job of the card is to get them to go to the site, saying too much is IMO dangerous grounds to tred.

http://hqautomotive.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Out of the Crisis.Org Forum Index -> Advertising Secrets All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: